Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Permits

///Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Permits
Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Permits2012-10-30T13:43:14+00:00

Soil erosion & sedimentation control
In accordance with the Michigan Depart-ment of Environmental Quality and Calhoun County Ordinance No. 02-01, property owners must obtain a Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control (SESC) permit before any earth change can be made. If you are performing an earth change within 500 feet of an existing body of water or wetland, or are disturbing over an acre of ground, a permit is required. Calhoun County Road Deparment (CCRD) staff can conduct an inspection to determine if a Soil Erosion permit is necessary.

Program goals:
The goal of the permit program is to control soil erosion and prevent sediment from entering bodies of water in Calhoun County. Through proper placement, grading or covering of soil, we are seeking to stabilize soil to insure its resistance to erosion, sliding or other earth movement. All work involving earth changes needs to conform to the Board of Public Works standards and other state and local ordinances.

Earth change requirements:

  1. All changes must be designed, constructed and completed to limit the exposure of land to the shortest amount of time.
  2. Sediment must be removed from runoff water before it leaves the earth change site.
  3. Any temporary or permanent facility that conveys water around, through or from a site must limit the water flow to a velocity that will not cause erosion.
  4. All temporary erosion controls must be removed and replaced with permanent soil erosion control measures.
  5. Permanent soil erosion controls for all slopes, channels, ditches or any disturbed land area must be completed within 15 days of final grading or earth changes that have been completed. Temporary controls can be implemented within 30 days and must be maintained until perma- nent controls are in place.

Permit procedure:

  1. Application packets are available at the CCRD office, by mail, and on our website here.
  2. Complete a permit application form. Include the signature of the homeowner/property owner that is responsible for the earth change.
  3. Include 1-2 sets of prints that describe the proposed work.
  4. Provide a chronological sequence for each phase completion and indicate the permanent and/or temporary measures to prevent the migration of soil during each phase.
  5. Submit the applicable fees. Permit fees are based on the length of time your permit will re- main open. An extension may be granted one time if the project is not completed by the end date noted on the permit. A two week notice is required if an extension is necessary. An additional permit fee may apply.
  6. CCRD staff will review the information and recommend any changes needed within 30 days.
  7. CCRD staff will perform an onsite inspection to recommend any changes if necessary.
  8. The permit, with any necessary changes required, will be mailed to you.